Robert De Niro's grandson dies of an overdose

Robert De Niro's grandson dies of an overdose
Photo by Johan Mouchet / Unsplash

Police find pills containing narcotic substances
The grandson of famous American actor Robert De Niro, Leandoro De Niro, has died from an overdose of pills containing the synthetic opioid analgesic fentanyl. This information was confirmed by the mother of the 19-year-old young man, actress Drena De Niro.

"Someone sold him pills laced with fentanyl. Of course they knew they had the drug in them, but they sold them anyway. Because of all these people selling and buying this stuff, my son has left me forever," she wrote on her social media page. Earlier, it was reported that police found many drugs and "drug paraphernalia" near Leandoro De Niro's body.

What Robert De Niro had to say about the death of his grandson
The legendary actor released a statement saying, "I am deeply saddened by the passing of my beloved grandson Leo. We are very grateful for the condolences from everyone. We ask that we please provide privacy so that we can mourn our loss."

Drena De Niro was adopted by the Taxi Driver star in 1976. Her son Leandro appeared in a cameo in the 2018 musical film A Star Is Born. He played the son of Bradley Cooper's character's best friend, George "Noodle" Stone.